Oily hair can be frustrating to deal with, as it can look greasy and limp even after washing. Choosing the right shampoo can make a big difference in managing excess oil production and achieving healthy-looking hair.
Here are some factors to consider when looking for the best shampoo for oily hair:
- Look for a clarifying shampoo: Clarifying shampoos are designed to remove buildup from styling products and excess oils from the scalp, making them ideal for oily hair. Look for shampoos that contain ingredients like tea tree oil, salicylic acid, or charcoal, which can help deep-clean the scalp.
- Avoid moisturizing shampoos: While moisturizing shampoos are great for dry hair, they can make oily hair worse by leaving behind a residue that can weigh down your hair and make it look greasy. Look for shampoos that are labeled as “oil-free” or “lightweight” to avoid this problem.
- Choose a sulfate-free formula: Sulfates are harsh cleansing agents that can strip the hair of its natural oils, leading to overproduction of oil and a greasy appearance. Look for shampoos that are sulfate-free or contain milder surfactants like sodium lauryl sulfoacetate (SLSA) or sodium cocoyl isethionate (SCI).
- Consider your hair type: Oily hair can still be dry at the ends, especially if you have long hair. If this is the case, look for shampoos that are designed for both oily roots and dry ends, or consider using a separate conditioner to moisturize the ends of your hair.
- Check the pH level: The pH level of a shampoo can affect how well it cleanses the scalp and hair. Look for shampoos with a pH level between 4.5 and 5.5, which is close to the natural pH of the scalp and can help regulate oil production.
Based on these factors, some of the best shampoos for oily hair include:
- Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo: This clarifying shampoo is designed to remove buildup from styling products and excess oil from the scalp, leaving hair clean and refreshed.
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo: This shampoo contains tea tree oil and peppermint to help deep-clean the scalp and regulate oil production.
- L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Shampoo: This shampoo contains three types of clay to help absorb excess oil from the scalp, leaving hair looking fresh and clean.
- Kiehl’s Since 1851 Amino Acid Shampoo: This sulfate-free shampoo contains coconut oil and amino acids to gently cleanse the scalp and hair without stripping away natural oils.
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Shampoo: This shampoo contains charcoal and coconut oil to help detoxify the scalp and remove buildup, while also providing gentle exfoliation to promote healthy hair growth.
Ultimately, the best shampoo for oily hair will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Experiment with different formulas to find the one that works best for you, and be sure to follow up with a lightweight conditioner if needed to keep your hair looking healthy and hydrated.
Samantha is a hairstylist with over 12 years of color and stylist experience. She enjoys using her knowledge to create what her clients really want when they sit down in her chair. Her passion is creating unique looks that her clients feel great in.